Friday 9 December 2011

Welcome to my new blog

Welcome to my 1st post on my new blog, I will start by saying that names are going to be altered to protect the guilty, hmmm, maybe I mean the innocent, ....nope pretty sure I mean the guilty, so no-one will be outed on here,you can all relax. However if you know me, then you should be able to figure out who I am talking about in my posts ;)
......................................................

The other night I went out for dinner with my SA girls, a group of girls who have all immigrated to Canada from South Africa.  We share similar backgrounds and it's nice to have people in your life who get where you come from and what your past experiences are.  My friend C suggested I start blogging hence THIS.   My first post on Fuck I'm 40!  Yep, so named because I hit the big 4-0 this year and it has actually changed my life.

In February this year I realized I was in imminent danger of turning 40 and so my mid life crisis started.

I was struck by the fact that your stereotypical mans midlife crisis is usually to 1. run off with a sexy (perhaps younger) woman, or
2. buy an expensive car to feel better about themselves, so I felt that as far as mid life crises go, mine was a pretty good one to have, although kind of similar in some aspects to a mans.  My goal, I wanted to recapture my youth, feel better about myself and get back to being sexy.

Married for forever with 6 year old twins (more about that life in future posts) I had lost the plot somewhere along the line.  The body had gone to....well it had just gone!  It's nearly the end of the year now and I can proudly say 40 lbs down and I am a different person.  I am back to a size 12, and still working on it.

I  will admit that I turned 40 a few months ago and am so far enjoying it, but I thought I would share a quick post I did on my weight loss board the day before I hit that milestone, as it pretty much sums up my year...


"Well I turn 40 tomorrow, I always thought I would dread this day, instead I find myself looking forward to tomorrow, and to the party we are having on Saturday night.

I thank Weight watchers for some of that. I am nearly 18 lbs down and I like who I see when I look in the mirror, especially since I know its only going to get better. Who knew, at the age of 40 I am going to look the best I have done in years!

The other reasons I guess that I am not dreading the significant change of decade is that I actually like my life. I have some pretty awesome friends, amazing family and in general I am happy with where I am. It has taken me a long time to accept that I live far far away from my immediate family, and to make peace with that. But I feel like its done, this is my home now, this is what I know and where I want to be right now.
I like myself, I like my friends, I like who I have become as I have grown up......I even like my 6 month old puppy today (which takes a bit of doing when you know how many times she has peed and pooped on the floor, and the amount of things she has eaten!)

I think 40 is going to rock!!"












No comments:

Post a Comment