Sunday 30 March 2014

Taking joy in the small things

It hasn't been a particularly good week in our household, and my emotions have gone from highs to extreme lows at varying times throughout the week. Today I'm feeling the need to take stock and look back on the things that I'm thankful for and that have brought me some form of joy this week.

I bathed the monster dog, now while this may seem trivial to you, it brought me joy. She sits on top of me and loves me too much, she was smelling worse than the inside of my sons snow boots and that was not pleasant. I now have a fresh clean, soft cuddle partner.

I have awesome friends, they support me when I'm in need and even treat me to lunch and coffee after a Doctors appointment that they know was no fun.

DH is on a health kick, he's no longer bringing crap home and is even working out. This benefits me in multiple ways. I get a fit, healthy husband who has more stamina and looks sexy and I too lose weight because I'm not being tempted by donuts and chocolates calling my name.

Last night we observed earth hour with the kids, we turned off the lights and all electronics (a rare occurrence in this house). We lit some candles, pulled out the camping lantern and spent the hour playing pictionary with the kids. It was a fun evening and the kids can't wait to play again. My team naturally won in case anyone wondered.

Spring seems to be trying to make an appearance at long last. The snow is receding, there are a few more sunny days on the calendar and I'm seeing a light at the end of the long, bitterly cold winter.

With the spring thaw comes the dreaded dog poop cleanup of the backyard. Now I can see you sitting there reading this asking yourself what would she possibly be thankful about regarding this? It's a simple answer really, DH did it this weekend, and I'm eternally thankful I never had to do it myself.

Online shenanigans, firstly get your minds out the gutter, not that sort of shenanigans. There was a "disturbance in the force" online with a group of friends,acquaintances and general group of people I see. Some were ecstatic, some were pissed, some were sad and some were just downright rude and obnoxious. The point of this is, it took my mind off my own worries, it gave a lot to read, to laugh at, to shake my head at and to discuss, and yes I'm thankful for that and thankful I was one of the people who wasn't upset.

Today's joy came in the form of a simple walk in the sunshine, yes the wind was cold and the paths were muddy from melted snow, but it felt really good to have the family outdoors and get some exercise too. The added bonus was some pretty scenes and fun had by all.

Fractured ice on the river we were walking next to.

Great kilometer trail markers

Inukshuk by the trail

Happy kids who had fun




No comments:

Post a Comment